Fox House to Dore Station
- Length: 10.5 km, 6.5 miles
- Maps: OS Explorer OL1 The Peak District - Dark Peak Area, OS Explorer OL24 The Peak District - White Peak Area, OS Explorer 278 Sheffield and Barnsley, OS Landranger 110 Sheffield and Huddersfield
- Approximate timing: 2hrs 30 mins
- Ascent: 145 metres
- Descent: 370 metres
- Maximum altitude: 390 metres
Sketch map of walk
- The walk starts at (A) the bus stop opposite the Fox House (on bus route 272) GR -- SK267802. Walk a short distance back along the road towards Sheffield to a public footpath sign(GR -- SK268804) on the opposite side from Fox House. Go through the gate and take the footpath across the moor.
- Shortly, after a bit of boggy ground, the footpath crosses the road at (B), GR -- SK273801.
- It is now a clear gravel path. As you cross the moor you have views of Sheffield. There are some footpaths meeting the path but the route just keeps to the main path. At GR -- SK289796 the path joins a track coming in from the right. Bear left along this track.
Follow the clear track across the moor. The track passes through a gate.
- At GR -- SK29279 the track crosses another track that becomes a driveway into the house. Keep straight on at this point and follow the track down to a road junction at (C), GR -- SK295802. Turn right onto this road.
- Follow the road to a T-junction at (D), GR -- SK301800, with another minor road. Turn right onto this road and follow it round and up the hill where it meets the A621 at (E), GR -- SK303797.
Turn left onto this main road and walk along the road until the pelican crossing just past The Cross Scythes pub. Cross the road at this pelican crossing and take the road (GR -- SK306797) on the left of the pub opposite the Cross Scythes. This pub is not currently operating.
- Follow this road past Totley Hall until it ends at a gate and stile, (G) GR -- SK309793, with a 3-way public footpath sign. Take the leftmost of the 3 paths that goes down to the left of the field.
Follow the path to the entrance of Gillfield Wood.
- Just after entering the wood the path forks at (H), GR -- SK311790. Take the left fork and then keep left again. Do not cross either of the two bridges over the stream.
Follow the path, which is to the left of Totley Brook, until you reach a scout hut at GR -- SK315796. Turn right here and follow the path up to where it joins a track.
- Turn left along the track until it reaches Mickley Lane at (I), GR -- SK316798. Cross Mickley Lane and go along Queen Victoria Road.
Keep walking along the road. When it forks take the left hand fork. Shortly after that there is a footpath sign to a footpath on the left at (J), GR -- SK320805. Take this footpath, down the steps into Poynton Wood.
- At the bottom of the steps take the footpath to the right. Stay on this footpath. There are paths meeting it but the route follows the main path. At a couple of points the path has fencing to the left.
At (K), GR -- SK327806, the path emerges onto Twentywell Lane. Turn left onto the road and follow it down the hill. Shortly before it meets the A621 it crosses a railway bridge. There is a footpath to the right just after this bridge. Take this path.
It comes out at Dore Station and car park. There is a pelican crossing to cross the A621 for the bus stop opposite the station at (L) GR -- SK323813 and the finish of the walk.